1. Freedom from thirst and hunger - by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
2. Freedom from discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
3. Freedom from pain, injury, and disease - by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
4. Freedom to express normal behavior - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal's own kind.
5. Freedom from fear and distress - by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.